Chronicles of Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem

Cod. 2533 - Österreichische Nationalbibliothek (Vienna, Austria)

Alternate Titles:

Cy comencent les chroniques de Jherusalem abregies, Chronik des Kreuzfahrer-Königreiches Jerusalem, Les Chroniques de Jherusalem Abrégées, Las Crónicas de las Cruzadas, Chronik der Kreuzfahrer

Facsimile edition
Different Facsimile
Editions Available
Info / Order
Please log in!
Add to compare list
Please log in!
Add to wish list
Please log in!
Add to my stock

Codiology

Alternate Titles

Cy comencent les chroniques de Jherusalem abregies
Chronik des Kreuzfahrer-Königreiches Jerusalem
Les Chroniques de Jherusalem Abrégées
Las Crónicas de las Cruzadas
Chronik der Kreuzfahrer

Type
Extent / Format

36 pages / 54.0 x 28.0 cm

Origin
Date
Around 1450
Style
Genre
Language
Patron

Duke of Burgundy

Artist / School

Master of Girart de Rousillon
David Aubert

Illustrations

11 full-page, 47 smaller gilted miniatures and 98 medaillons and initials

Short description

This famous manuscript from the Austrian National Library in Vienna presents a historic chronicle of the crusaders. From the First Crusade and the capture of Jerusalem in 1099 and across the reigns of the following kings of Jerusalem, the history of the crusades was visualized in magnificent miniatures. The landscape format of the manuscript is unusual, and truly accentuates the paintings. The splendid and unusual manuscript originated from a commission of Philipp the Good, Duke of Burgundy ca. 1450 in France. The Master of Girart de Roussillon, along with a scribe from the circle of David Aubert, created a masterpiece of 15th century illumination that continues to amaze beholders to this day!

Facsimile editions available

Description

Chronicles of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem

This famous manuscript from the Austrian National Library in Vienna presents a historical chronicle of the crusaders. From the First Crusade and the capture of the city of Jerusalem in 1099, across the reigns of the kings of Jerusalem, the history of the crusades is visualized in magnificent miniatures. The landscape format of the manuscript is unusual, and truly accentuates the paintings. The splendid and exceptional manuscript arose in France ca. 1450 from the commission of Philipp the Good, Duke of Burgundy. The Master of Girart de Roussillon, along with a scribe from the circle of David Aubert at the Burgundian court, created a masterpiece of 15th century illumination that continues to amaze beholders to this day!

Light, Airy Miniatures

Splendidly attired knights in glimmering armor load mysterious chests onto a ship lying on the shore of a sea. A magnificently atmospheric landscape stretches into the background. Such scenes filled with exciting events and painted eye-candy illustrate the history of the crusaders in the Chronicles of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem. On 36 pages in the format of 54 x 28 cm – which is read atypically in a landscape format – the manuscript contains 11 full-page miniatures, 47 smaller gilded miniatures, and 98 medallions and initials. Ornamental frames and decorative borders surround the atmospheric and simultaneously luminous and colorful miniatures. Filigree ornamentation fills all the spaces-in-between and splendid initials adorn the text in the typical style of the time.

A Masterpiece of the Burgundian Court

The famous Codex 2533 of the Austrian National Library in Vienna is a work of 15th century Burgundian illumination. The Chronicles of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem is a commission of Philipp the Good, Duke of Burgundy (1395-1467). Several true masterpieces originated from his court in the mid-15th century. Among others, the famous Master of Girart de Roussillon was active at the Burgundian court from 1440 to 1465, who has also been identified as the painter of the Chronicles of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem. This master earned his name from one of his works, the manuscript of the Romance of Girart de Roussillon. The text of the Chronicles of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem was the work of a scribe from the David Aubert’s circle who was also active at the Burgundian court under Philipp the Good.

Quick Search
Publisher
Show all options